Saturday, October 4, 2014

Structure modifications

The first modifications were to replace the clear tube between the Trofast boxes.
Instead of a direct drop to the next bucket, I used a 15mm PVC tube with a interconnect. The interconnect has a threaded male part than goes thru the Trofast, and we screw the female part on top of it. The height of that female part is perfect as the water level is just in contact of the netpots bottom.






The bottom of each dropdown tube is glued with hotglue gun and I drilled 6 holes to make some kind of shower head. The tube is just plugged into the interconnect.

Under the dropdown tube, I now have a bell with holes to prevent clay pebble to enter the tube and get stuck at the bottom. As they are bigger than the holes, the flow was restricted and I had the installation flooding the balcony.
You need a lot of holes, and they have to be under the water level. Drill also the top of the bell otherwise the syphon effect will empty the whole bucket.
I've also added more shelves on the right side. But they are not running yet.
As the tomatoes need more heights I can now leave them on the right side and have some room for the leaves.
 After a few weeks, I had a algae invasion, all the clear aquarium tubes became coated with green and the tank turned green. So I filtered the water and removed the clear tubes.








I now use the frame PVC tube to feed the water to the top, so I added a T near the tank, with a treaded adapter and a water hose brass male plug. The aquarium pump is now feeding the system thru a 30cm soft tube and then it goes to the top in the PVC frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment